Friday, March 12, 2010

Last Day





It's my last day here. Last night I didn't want to go to bed because I knew today would be a really hard day. I sat outside looking at the brilliant stars.


How amazing is it that I've even been able to come here? My heart is full of so many things.

I'm deeply sad to leave. I love these kids.


I've learned a lot since January. Not just Spanish, but about life and pain, and trust, and generosity, and reggaeton, and farm animals, and wild fires, and security and fear, and abuse and poverty and resilience and shame. I've also learned a lot about hope.


Last night I sat atop the water tower with five girls and Kyla, watching the sunset, eating candy and dancing. I looked down into the valley, at Hogar where I could just make out Caleb trying to fly homemade kites with the middle school boys. I felt deep contentment.


I am coming back in two or three months. I am promising to come back. Caleb and I are planing to be in Mexico for a while longer and he will do all he can to make it possible for me to visit often. I will continue the fundraising for the boys' cabana and hopefully help with future projects as well. It is truly amazing that I can have my childhood in Hungary, much of my adulthood in the U.S., and find my passion in Mexico. Life is so unpredictable and surprising. Hence the fact that the Bible verse for my life (and this blog) is Psalm 139:9-10, "If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there Your hand will guide, Your right hand will hold me fast."

4 comments:

Katie said...

Thank you, Marci - what a beautiful entry! You are a part of the Hogar family now - you will also be in the kids' hearts forever! Have a good trip "home" and we'll hope for a quick return! Maybe our paths will cross at Hogar someday! Katie Bronec

Emily said...

Marci, I am tearing up! I am so very happy for you. This is a beautifully written entry. Service is such an integral part of my life and passion, too. I am slowly setting money aside to help out with your fundraising. I think what you've been led to be a part of is amazing.

Unknown said...

Marcie, good to read your update and that some funds are still coming in.
We RVers Jack & Chris, Ron with John hope to be in Tulum anytime after 18th March.
Can you or any of your friends help us with a place to park our 3 RV's for a day or two....we don't need any electricity or water, just a place to park so we can "catch up"...any good snorkling or diving spots to share?
jackthekane@gmail.com

Tia Johanna said...

It's amazing that a heart as big as yours can't be everywhere at the same time! But it's no surprise that a heart as tender as yours can ache so deeply.

It's wonderful to be needed. It's confusing to be SO needed.

Wherever you go, you'll touch the hearts of those around you. And as much as we would want you to always be apart of Hogar, we just might have to share you with the rest of the world.