Thursday, October 22, 2009

Fresh Chicken

I bought a chicken yesterday that was so fresh it was still warm. Kind of fantastic and creepy. I ended up with 3 chicken feet as well, two attached to the bird and one random one. Also some organs I wasn't familiar with. Hmm. When I got home I had to saw it all apart with a very dull knife to make Coq au Vin. I did consider the machete from our back yard, but it too needs to be sharpened. I would have felt very Rambo-like slashing my way through warm bloody chicken thighs!
I had the most joyful afternoon cooking and singing along to Joni Mitchel at the top of my lungs. We had our first dinner guests. A couple, Sabrina and Diego and their little baby, Nicolas. They own a great little restaurant here called "Elemental", which Caleb and I frequent.
Lots of wine, a successful Coq au Vin, a little green salad, and coconut macaroons for dessert. We had a great time talking and laughing in the back yard and even little Nico seemed to enjoy himself camped out on our little couch, snoozing.
It felt really good having some friends over, feeding them and enjoying their company. Many of my favorite memories are of the times I've had a houseful of guests and cooked a huge meal, both in Seattle and in Providence.

No comments: